April 29, 2020
Burnt out on banana bread? Perhaps you’re currenty dreaming of a tropical vacation in a Tulemar villa and are craving some yummy Costa Rican fare as a result?
If that’s the case for you, what is more Costa Rican than gallo pinto and an ice cold guaro sour?
Gallo Pinto is a versatile rice and beans dish that can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner….And a guaro sour is a delightful Costa Rican cocktail! Below are recipes to both so you can bring a little Costa Rica to your kitchen today:
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 2 15-ounce cans cooked red or black beans
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Short grain white is preferred, but brown can be used to make the dish healthier!
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- Salsa Lizano
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Sautee onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic in large pot for two minutes
- Add beans and salsa Lizano, and let simmer for 5-7 minutes
- Slowly stir in cooked rice
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes, or until all moisture is absorbed
- Stir in cilantro to taste
- Serve warm and save the rest for yummy leftovers!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 2 ounces guaro (Cacique is the most well-known brand)
- 2 ounces simple syrup
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- 1 lime cut into thin wedges
- Club Soda
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Put guaro, sugar, and lime wedges in a small glass. Muddle generously. Leave everything in the glass and add ice cubes. Top it off with a splash of club soda.
*For extra flare, sugar the rim of the glass and add a lime wedge*
Our suggestion? Make both recipes, then sit down to enjoy them while watching a beautiful Costa Rican sunset via our live-stream! It’s (kind of ) just like being at Tulemar.
Until we can see you again…