March 31, 2018
If you’ve already visited Costa Rica, then you are probably familiar with the popular national dish called gallo pinto. Gallo pinto is made with rice and beans mixed with spices and vegetables such as cilantro, onion, bell peppers, and salsa. It is most commonly served during breakfast, but it is delicious to eat any time of day. And the best part? It’s simple to make and it’s great for leftovers!
Wanting to try your hand at this delicious and healthy dish? Here’s a simple recipe for you to try today!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 2 15-ounce cans cooked red or black beans
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Short grain white is preferred, but brown can be used to make the dish healthier!
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- Salsa Lizano
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Sautee onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic in large pot for two minutes
- Add beans and salsa Lizano, and let simmer for 5-7 minutes
- Slowly stir in cooked rice
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes, or until all moisture is absorbed
- Stir in cilantro to taste
- Serve warm and save the rest for yummy leftovers!
This recipe is as delicious as it is simple! Feel free to get creative and mix it up to fit your tastes. Try added ground beef, extra veggies, hot sauce, or egg!
Want the full tico experience? Enjoy your gallo pinto with a cold guaro sour!
*photos from eatthismuch.com and vegkitchen.com