Please Do Not Feed
October 14, 2017
There just seems to be something about little monkeys that makes people want to feed them. We see it happen often, and while we completely understand wanting a group of monkeys to swarm you (hello, perfect Instagram moment), we also understand the negative impact that this has on the little guys. If you aren’t convinced, here are 5 reasons why you should never feed the monkeys:
- You probably already know that the human hand contains A LOT of bacteria. Luckily for us, most of these bacteria have no harmful effect on us. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for a monkey. When you feed the monkeys, you transfer harmful bacteria that can cause severe illness, or even death for our furry friends.
- On the flipside, monkeys carry a lot of bacteria that can be harmful to humans. We don’t only care about our cute compadres– we care about you, too! Please keep yourself safe and healthy.
- Feeding the monkeys can cause them to become dependent on humans and regular feeding times. If regular feeding times are not provided, the monkeys can get aggravated and aggressive towards humans. Nothing can take a moment from darling to destructive quite as quick as an angry capuchin!
- Monkeys are very active, and need to travel an average of 10 miles a day to maintain a good physical health. Receiving human food causes the monkeys to stay in one area, which is harmful to their physical well-being.
- It’s illegal. Do we honestly need to give you any other reason? Feeding monkeys is punishable by Costa Rican law… And something tells us your Tulemar rental is a little more cozy than a jail cell.
So please… Help us keep our primates pleasant and in tip-top shape, and keep yourself healthy and out of trouble!