Costa Rica qualifies for the Safe Destination certification from the World Travel & Tourism Council for destinations which have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols – so consumers can experience ‘Safe Travels’.
Updated January 26, 2021 14:48 UTC-6
Updated January 27, 2021
Pre-flight Testing Requirement for Entry to The United States
On Jan 12, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control in the United States issued an order effective January 26, 2021 requiring all incoming airline passengers to the United States to provide documentation (paper or electronic) of a negative COVID-19 test.
- The test must be administered within 3 calendar days prior to the flight’s departure;
- The order applies to all passengers 2 years of age and older;
- The test must be a viral test;
Alternatively, travelers may provide documentation of a prior COVID-19 infection along with a letter from a health professional clearing them for travel. The date of the infection must be within 90 days of the flight’s departure.
If you have specific questions not addressed here, you can review the CDC FAQ or check with your airline. Airlines are charged with enforcing the order, and there may be some variability in procedures and implementation.
If you book with our company, your personal concierge will:
• Arrange for an appointment for testing
• Help you fill out the required form and
• Bring the medical professional to your bungalow, casa or villa in Tulemar to have the testing done in the privacy and comfort of your own surroundings.
Test results will be delivered to you directly via email within 24-48 hours. The cost will range between $110-$120 (depending on the exchange rate) and will be paid directly to the medical professional at the time of testing by credit card or cash.
Travelers to destinations other than the United States may also have testing requirements, and guests are encouraged to review those requirements with their airline. Your concierge will assist you with the testing requirements regardless of your destination.
Quarantine requirements are evolving as health authorities cope with new variants and rising infection rates. Your return destination might have mandatory or recommended requirements. As authorities make these decisions, we will update the information we share here. There is no federal mandatory quarantine when entering the US right now.
November 2, 2020
Costa Rica had announced the closing of our borders by land, sea and air, beginning on March 18, 2020 for all ARRIVING tourists, however, as of November 1, 2020 the air borders have reopened to all countries of the world providing that they fulfill the guidelines issued by our government. These are the most current requirements. They could change or be eliminated at any time;
- Fill out the electronic HEALTH PASS form, available at https://salud.go.cr
- Present proof or acquire travel insurance that covers medical care and an unexpected extended hotel stay. Your own personal insurance may cover this requirement, but written proof is needed.
- If you need a source, here are two different companies in Costa Rica that provide this coverage. They can provide the minimum coverage for medical expenses in the event of becoming ill with the pandemic COVID-19 virus while in Costa Rica, for $20,000 USD and for lodging expenses incurred as a result of the pandemic (this can be waived with proof of ownership of a home in Costa Rica).
- email@example.com – (US – $50,000 coverage required if using any US agency or your own insurance from the US)
- For tourists using their own medical insurance policies, you must request a certification from your insurance company, issued in English or Spanish, verifying the following three conditions. (This certification must be uploaded when filling out the electronic HEALTH PASS):
- Effectiveness of the policy during the visit to Costa Rica.
- Guaranteed coverage of medical expenses in the event of becoming ill with the pandemic COVID-19 virus while in Costa Rica, for at least USD $50,000 (this higher limit is required for using an insurance company not located in Costa Rica)
- Includes minimum coverage of USD $2,000 for lodging expenses incurred as a result of the pandemic (this can be waived with proof of ownership of a home in Costa Rica).
Tulemar is open as usual and is honoring all reservations.
We want you here as much as you want to be here. We are caught in the travel policies of our governments, including the US, Costa Rica and many others. This affects everyone, the airlines, the hotels, the transportation and tour companies and our guests. We understand your travel may need to be changed and that is never easy. We also need your support to keep everyone in Tulemar working during this time. Please be patient with our Reservations Department, as they have one of the most difficult and stressful jobs now and are doing their best to help each guest.
If you have an upcoming reservation with us and are not able to arrive, please contact us as soon as possible to make any changes needed. Please see the steps below.
- You should first check with your airline to see if your arrival and departing flights are still scheduled to fly as you have booked.
- You should also check with your travel insurance policy to see which items may be covered in case of cancellations.
- If you did not purchase travel insurance or it will not cover your accommodations with us, then we will amend our cancellation policy to include the following: All reservations, booked prior to November 2, 2020, can be changed and postponed for up to 12 months (or 24 months for some villas) from your date of arrival with no change or cancellation fee. Guests that change their current reservation will be issued a credit towards their future stay in the amount that was paid but can only be used in the same property that was reserved. We are not able to issue refunds. We do require written notification of any cancellation requests, so please email us.
As the pandemic and travel restrictions in each state or country continue to change and evolve, so does our cancellation policy. For all new reservations, confirmed with us in writing, from November 2, 2020 on, the following policy will apply;
- If the borders of Costa Rica close or the Costa Rican government restricts entrance by your state or country or your airline cancels your flights, then your reservation can be changed and postponed for up to 24 months from your date of arrival with no change or cancellation fee. Guests that change their current reservation will be issued a credit towards their future stay in the amount that was paid but can ONLY be used in the same property that was reserved. We are not able to issue refunds.
- If you must change your reservation to a future time for other reasons, no matter what they may be, as long as you provide more than a 30 day notice, then your reservation can be changed and postponed for up to 24 months from your date of arrival with no change or cancellation fee. Guests that change their current reservation will be issued a credit towards their future stay in the amount that was paid but can ONLY be used in the same property that was reserved. We are not able to issue refunds.
- If you must change your reservation to a future time for other reasons, no matter what they may be and there are less than 30 days to arrival, we will not be able to move your reservation to a future date nor can we refund any payments you have made.
If your reservation is managed by Luxury Destinations Management Partners (shown on your confirmation) please see their cancellation policy on your confirmation.
Due to the uncertainty of the pandemic and government regulations, we strongly suggest you purchase travel insurance to cover your trip. Travel insurance is also changing frequently so please research to find the best one for you.
If we do not hear from you, we will be expecting you as booked.
You can phone 1-800-936-9622 or +506-4001-5878 for additional information.
We will do our best to accommodate you with alternate dates for your stay, but the space is filling quickly with “moves” and new reservations.
We are very excited to welcome guests back to Costa Rica and Tulemar. We have always held our service staff to the highest standard of sanitation and hygiene practices, and now, more than ever, our commitment to cleanliness remains our top priority to ensure the health and safety of our guests, our staff, and our community.
In response to Covid-19, we have taken additional sanitation measures to guarantee our practices align with expert protocols provided by global and local health authorities during this pandemic. Furthermore, we continue to closely monitor health authority guidelines and make changes or updates to our practices as needed.
Upon check-in at our front desk, the concierge staff will explain the protocols and procedures implemented by the Ministry of Health in Costa Rica and then you’ll be taken to your accommodations.
At your accommodations, your concierge will –
- explain that all flat surfaces, switches, door knobs, remote controls, telephones, faucets and fixtures have all received additional cleaning and attention
- show you the location of the sanitizer gel and special waste receptacle for items like masks, gloves and eye protection
- discuss the schedule and procedure for the daily cleaning of your accommodations by the cleaning staff
- answer any questions you may have regarding these procedures and protocols in Costa Rica and provide a source for local information
Around the resort, you’ll notice –
- all the staff will maintain a social distance of 6 feet
- guests will be asked to maintain the same
- staff will all be wearing safety equipment such as gloves, masks and eye protection
- common areas around the resort will be thoroughly cleaned throughout the day